TRAVEL VOCABULARY AND EXPRESSIONS
VIDEOS ABOUT TRAVELLING
PODCASTS ABOUT TRAVEL AND HOLIDAYS
Listen to this podcast about the vocabulary about travel. Take note of the words related to this topic individually.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS TO WORK IN SMALL GROUPS BY NIKKI
- What are the top three destinations you’d like to go to most, and why?
- How do you like to travel (by train, plane, car, etc.)?
- What is your preferred type of accommodation while traveling?
- Do you prefer to tour (be a tourist) around new places, or to travel for longer periods of time?
- What has been your favourite place you’ve travelled to thus far?
Listen to this podcast about holidays.
PODCASTS ABOUT TRAVELLING EXPERIENCES
- Have you ever been abroad?
- Where have you been?
- How many countries have you been to?
- Have you ever taken a package tour?
- Are you planning on going anywhere for your next vacation?
- If so, where?
- Who with?
- How long will you stay?
- Have you ever been on an airplane?
- How many times?
- What airlines have you flown with?
- What countries would you like to visit? Why?
- Do you think you will ever go there?
- Why do you travel?
- Why do people travel?
- What are some benefits of travel?
- When you are on a long car journey do you play games or sing songs to occupy your time?
- What kind of games?
- What songs?
- Where are you going to go the next time you travel?
- When are you going to go?
- Who are you going to go with?
- How long are you going to go for?
- What are you going to do there?
- What kind of things do you think you will buy?
- Where did you go on your last vacation? Your summer vacation? Your Christmas vacation?
- How did you go?
- Who did you go with?
- Would you like to go back to the same place?
- What was your best trip?
- What was your worst trip?
- Do you prefer summer vacations or winter vacations?
- Do you prefer to travel alone or in a group? Why?
- Do you prefer to travel by car, train, bus, plane or ship?
- Have you ever been in a difficult situation while travelling?
- Have you ever gotten lost while travelling? If so, talk about it.
- How do you spend your time when you are on holidays and the weather is bad?
- If you went to ___(Insert a country name)__, what kind of souvenirs would you buy?
- If you were going on a camping trip for a week, what 10 things would you bring? Explain why.
- What are some countries that you would never visit? Why would you not visit them?
- What are some things that you always take with you on a trip?
- What do you need before you can travel to another country?
- What is the most interesting city to visit in your country?
- What is the most interesting souvenir that you have ever bought on one of your holidays?
- What languages can you speak?
- What place do you want to visit someday?
- What was the most interesting place you have ever visited?
- What's the most beautiful place you've ever been to?
- When was the last time you travelled?
- Where will you go on your next vacation?
- Would you like to take a cruise?
- Where to?
- With who?
- Would you prefer to stay at a hotel/motel or camp while on vacation?
- Would you rather visit another country or travel within your own country?
- Would you rather go to a place where there are a lot of people or to a place where there are few people?
- What are popular tourist destinations in your country?
- Have you been to any of them?
- Which would you recommend if you could only recommend one? Why?
- Do you prefer active or relaxing holidays? Why?
- Which is better, package tour or a tour you organize and book yourself?
- Do you travel with a lot of baggage or do you like to travel light?
- What is your favourite mode of travel? (To get to your destination)
- What is your favourite method of travel at your destination? Train? Bus? Boat? Bicycle? Backpacking?
- What is the best kind of holiday for different ages of people? Children? Teenagers? Adults? Elderly people?
- Do you think it is a good idea to travel with friends, or alone?
- How about with your family?
- If you had $100,000, where would you go on holiday?
- How about if you had $10,000?
- What about $1,000?
- Do you prefer hot countries or cool countries when you go on holiday?
- Who makes the decisions when your family decides to go on holiday?
- If you could choose one place to go this weekend, where would it be?
- Is there any difference between young tourists and adult tourists?
- To spend your holidays, do you prefer villages, small towns or big cities?
ACTIVITY IN PAIRS: Think of 5 questions the examiner can ask you about travel. Then, think of 3 follow-up question for each of those questions.E.g. 1. If you could choose one place to go this weekend, where would it be?
Follow-up: Who would you take with you? Would you stay in a hotel or a hostel? What must you see/do when you get there?